shopgallerynewsaboutcontact

Friday, December 23, 2011

Holiday Treats!

I know this isn't a food blog, but nothing affects my mood and how and what I design more than food! (Well, maybe music, too, but that's a whole different post...or blog....) So from time to time I might post something I recently whipped up. Plus, it gives me a chance to try new photo techniques. In this case, I was practicing my macro skills. And I perked-up the photo using some adjustments I learned from Katrina's Pugly Pixel blog. (Thanks, Katrina!)

Here's a super-easy, yummy recipe that I made recently for a Christmas ornament exchange party. Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe, it would be great for New Year's Eve, too--the sanding sugar looks like little snow crystals. And, yes, I added a little bit more rum than the recipe calls for. ;-)



Rum Balls
Makes 4 dozen

Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/4 cups (1-1/2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
3 large eggs
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark rum
Coarse sanding sugar, for rolling

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 12 x 17-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. In a heatproof bowl, melt butter and chocolate chips for 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir. Repeat if necessary until mixture is smooth.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the chocolate mixture, then fold in the flour. Pour batter into prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with rubber spatula. Bake until top is shiny and toothpick inserted into the center comes out with some crumbs attached, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

4. In another bowl, break up brownie into small pieces. With electric mixture on low, pour in the rum and mix until crumbs start to come together to form a ball.

5. Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in sanding sugar to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet; refrigerate, uncovered, until cold, about 2 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Rum balls can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next Previous Home