shopgallerynewsaboutcontact

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Paper Stash: Vintage '80s Stationery

Last night I went upstairs in the attic to find some old childhood artwork. I thought for sure I knew where it was, but I didn't have any luck. Instead I found a stash of some of the old stationery I had back in the 1980s. I have always rationed things I have multiples of, like Halloween candy, because I know once the last one is gone, it's all gone. So when it came to this stationery, I used all of it back then for writing notes to friends in class or keeping in touch with my Star Wars pen pal, but I always saved one piece so I wouldn't forget ever having it. I never imagined back then how much my childhood would influence the work I do now, so these are great for inspiration!

Almost like little museum pieces, they represent so many types of 1980s design: pastels and airbrush-like effects; retro imagery (mostly 1950s); rainbows; minis; bold, hand-drawn everyday objects (usually in pencil or marker); ice cream and other sweets; hard geometric shapes, stripes and polka dots in pink and green; pixelized, 8-bit video games... The pieces below were made by Hallmark, Current, Drawing Board Greetings, and Sangamon, among others.

Usually I'm frustrated when I can't find what I'm looking for in my old boxes and files, but this time I left the attic with a smile on my face. I'll just have to go back up and look again...

Enjoy!









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm having heart palpatations over the awesomeness! I had that Current rainbow set... how could I have resisted it, right? I am in love with that "glossy" looking phone (and a little jealous). I also had lots of similar stationery with that geometric type insanity like the example that is second from last. Sigh....

Annarack said...

I love all of this and I am actually looking for a vintage 80's writing set. Where can I buy some at a reasonable price?

penny candy handmade said...

Hi! You probably guessed I would say this, but eBay is most likely your best bet, and perhaps Etsy. Be sure to search for 'stationery' and the misspelled 'stationary'. You may also want to search by brands, like Hallmark, Current, Drawing Board Greetings, Sangamon, Gibson, and Eaton. I think even Avon did stationery at one time. After searching for 'Hallmark stickers' on eBay for 10 years, I can guarantee you'll find Hallmark sets, like the kind that came in a folder or box, with paper, envelopes, and stickers. Many are totally unused and even sealed! GOOD LUCK!

Nicky Ovitt said...

Wonderful, Amy!!! That phone and pencil are incredible!

penny candy handmade said...

Thanks for checking out the post, Nicky! I love the look of '80s illustration! And that airbrushed ice cream soda!

Post a Comment

Next Previous Home